Kids say the funniest things. But sometimes, the things they say can teach us a thing or two. Our friends Greg and Cecilia have five children between 1 and 11 years old. They asked their four oldest kids to answer some questions about marriage. Here's what they had to say:
Why do people get Married?
- Because they love each other.
- Because they kiss each other.
- Because they kiss.
- Because they have kids.
- Because they do nice things for each other.
What does Dad do to show Mom he loves her?
- He's respectful.
- He gives her chocolate.
- He agrees with her.
- He tries not to argue.
- He does work to pay for us to have food.
What does Mom do to show Dad she loves him?
- She gives presents.
- Gives him time off to golf.
- Kiss lips.
- She takes care of him when he is sick.
What does Mom love about Dad?
- He's smart, kind, funny.
- He helps her take deep breaths.
- He's handsome and athletic.
What does Dad love about Mom?
- Mom's pretty, kind, positive, funny, cheerful.
- She can handle tough situations.
- She is fun.
- Talks out arguments.
When you get married what will you do to show your husband/wife that you love them?
- Sit on a swing with her.
- Be kind, gentle, caring.
- Tell her she's pretty and nice.
- Take her on trips.
- I'll be understanding to him.
Why do married people hold hands and kiss?
- Cuz they're in love.
- Cuz they're married.
How can you tell if two people are married to each other?
- They have a ring on their left ring finger.
- The look in their eyes.
What do married people have to do to keep their marriage strong (or to be happy)?
- Exercise together.
- Bond -do fun things together.
- Cook together.
- Treat each other with kindness.
- Protect your kids.
What happens when Mom and Dad disagree with each other?
- They argue and disagree.
- Look at facts to help.
- Take a deep breath.
- Be loud.
- Eventually forgive each other.
When people get married, what do they have to do differently than people who are not married?
- They make kids.
- They kiss.
- I don't know!
What "gifts" would you like your husband or wife to have?
- Cute, nice.
- Stay positive.
- Fun, kind.
- Happy, calm.
- Make dinner for me when I'm sick.
- Bring presents.
There you have it! Sometimes when everything is complicated, we just need to get back to the basics. Some of the ideas we had as kids might just be good ways to make the world (and our marriages) better and happier!