Definition: A feeling is a spontaneous inner reaction to a person, place or situation.
- Like a sneeze, feelings just happen.
- No one is to blame for my feelings. Not me; not my spouse.
- Feelings are neither right nor wrong, they just are.
- What I DO (my behavior) because I am angry, or excited or frustrated CAN be right or wrong.
- My feelings are a guide post. They help me evaluate a situation and choose behaviors that are appropriate.
- My feelings reflect what is going on deep inside me -- at my core. Therefore sharing my feelings with my spouse enriches our communication and intimacy.